We are committed to making Benallack Barn a green business and are delighted to have received a silver rating from the Green Tourism grading scheme.
We review our policies and procedures on a regular basis to see where we can improve our sustainability and lower our environmental impact.
Here are some of the steps we already take to raise awareness and act responsibly towards the environment:
- We limit our emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases by using only wood burners and a 70kW wood pellet biomass boiler for heating and hot water.
- We have installed a 4kW array of solar PV panels which supply a large part of our electricity needs. All our (old) buildings are insulated as much as possible, with loft insulation and double glazing.
- We encourage our guests to conserve heat by not leaving lights on or windows open.
- We make our own compost and encourage guests to contribute their vegetable peelings and eggshells to our compost heap.
- We minimise waste by avoiding excessive packaging and by recycling as much as possible. We encourage our guests to do the same.
- We use and recommend local or Fair Trade suppliers for our food and toiletry products whenever possible, and encourage our guests to do likewise.
- We grow many of our own vegetables and fruit which we share with our guests.
- We minimise the use of hazardous and toxic substances by using environmentally friendly cleaning products as much as possible and are constantly on the look-out for replacements. Our laundry service follows similar principles.
- We limit water usage through the use of tap aerators and low flush toilets.
- We use only low-energy light bulbs and most of our appliances are already AAA+ rated or will be replaced with such when needed.
- Our staff are aware of our commitment to the environment and are encouraged to act responsibly at all times when cleaning or dealing with waste.
- We actively encourage wildlife in our four acres of gardens which guests may enjoy at any time.